
By Dr. Noor
Getting to where I am today-
where I am comfortable in the operating room, confident in my medical &
surgical skills and ready to handle weekly eye surgeries, did not come easy or
should I say without my share of stumbles—sometimes even very embarrassing
ones.
While in college, trying to
find my path and determine my future, I shadowed a Lasik surgeon. I have always
been drawn to medicine and was eager to embark upon a fulfilling and hopefully
successful career. Well guess what happened when I witnessed my very first
Lasik eye surgery?… I passed out. The surgery continued on and there I was
heaped onto the floor in the middle of it all.
That wasn’t my only obstacle to
a future in Ophthalmology. Even in Med school, there were multiple occasions
during which I had to be escorted out of the room for fear that I might pass
out as I began to vasovagal. My confidence was certainly marred. Each and every
time something like that happened, I questioned whether I really had the
“right” to be here. Had I made a terrible mistake?
My heart and my mind told me
that I was destined to become a surgeon, but the rest of me was definitely not
cooperating. Here’s what happened… I learned. I grew as a student, a
professional, and as a person. I started to trust myself more and give the
failures less power over me. I grew confident.
Now I am in the operating room
weekly. And it’s my comfort zone and my happiest day of the week. I know that I
belong there and that belief in myself is, I have found, one of the most
important parts of being a successful surgeon.
Comments
Post a Comment