
Question:
As-salamu Alaykum.I have some
problems and I need help from you. In July, I will be married to a man from
Sweden. He is ready to become a Muslim, but I know he wants to become Muslim
because he wants to marry me. He wants to learn about Islam because before he
didn’t believe in religion. So, I hope someone can give information about Islam
to my boyfriend. After marriage, I will stay in Sweden, his country. Are there
Muslims in Sweden? Where can I meet a teacher in Sweden for Kenneth (my
boyfriend)? We will stay in Vetlanda. Please, I need help from you. Thanks.
Answer:
Thank you for your question and
for contacting Ask About Islam.
To start with, it’s very
important to ask yourself why you want your boyfriend to become a Muslim.
Is it simply so that you can get
married in a way that will be culturally acceptable in Indonesia?
Or are you really concerned
about Kenneth’s afterlife?
If it is the latter, then your
best option is to pray for his guidance at every possible moment.
Then, let some good,
responsible, male Muslims with excellent character explain to him the
fundamentals of Islam in a non-pushy way.
Is It You or Allah He Wants?
I could not understand from
your question whether Kenneth is sincerely interested in Islam or simply
converting in order to marry you.
If a person converts for the
sake of a worldly objective—like marriage—then the Muslim community must work
intelligently to foster the vulnerable iman (faith) in his heart.
On the other hand, I would not
suggest signing a marriage contract with him until the true taste of iman has
entered his heart.
Marriage is a weighty matter,
and under these circumstances, you do not want to rush into something that
could end in disaster.
Think of the Future
A word of advice, sister:
Marriage is a commitment that will, insha’Allah, continue after the initial
phase of attraction.
For a marriage to continue in a
strong, healthy way it is necessary that both partners resolve to stay within
the boundaries of Islam and refer to the Quran and the Sunnah if any
differences arise.
This method of maintaining a
marriage can only happen when both partners are aware of the teachings of Islam
and are committed to following them.
So this is a perfect
opportunity for both of you to make a fresh start in your lives and align
yourselves with Islam, seeking the pleasure of Almighty Allah from Whom we seek
success in all matters.
Muslim Community in Sweden
In response to your second
question, yes, there are many Muslims in Sweden and several mosques and Islamic
centers. I believe the information on the following link will help you locate a
nearby mosque: Vaxjo Islamic Center.
I suggest that you contact the
center and explain your situation to them.
Maintaining Islamic Conduct
Before Marriage
If Kenneth converts to
Islam—and we all pray for him—and if faith has truly entered his heart, then I
strongly suggest that you respect the Islamic rules of conduct between an
engaged couple.
Please refer to our fatwa
section for more information about these rules.
You must keep in mind that
going against the dictates of Islam, in addition to showing ingratitude to
Allah, will decrease the barakah (blessing) in your marriage.
A lack of barakah can have
disastrous effects, such as marital discord, difficulties, divorce, or even
physical and emotional problems with your future children. Please keep these
facts in mind.
Thank you for your question,
sister. And do not stop praying for Kenneth’s success in this life and the
next.
Please keep in touch.
Salam.
Comments
Post a Comment