Skip to main content

I Like a Non-Practicing Muslim: Shall I Marry Her?


Related image

Question:
Salam. I like a girl for 4 years. We used to talk as friends, but recently I made it clear indirectly that I like her as more than just a friend. As a practicing Muslim, I know I shouldn't talk to her, but I really like this girl and want to marry her. The problem is that she is not at all practicing as a Muslim. She doesn't pray or wear hijab, and she has male friends. Despite all, I can't get rid of thinking of her. Shall I ask her if she also likes me? How can I help her to become a practicing Muslim? I am going through a big dilemma. Please help me.

Answer:
Wa ‘Alaikum Salaam,
Your feelings towards this girl appear to be present for quite a long time. One thing you should keep in mind is the underlying fact that we don’t necessarily get attracted to someone on the basis of religion and that having feelings toward someone from the opposite gender is completely normal. It’s just the way Allah (swt) created us. We can’t help it. Girls will be attracted to boys. Boys will be attracted to girls. And after lowering our gazes and staying away from what’s wrong, there’s nothing we can do about that.

While you cannot control your feelings of attraction toward someone, you can control your actions. As you are well aware, Allah (swt) has clearly defined limits when it comes to friendship between opposite genders; thus, in your current situation you have two options to “be to the safe side” and stay away from sinning: you either end all forms of communication with this girl or ask her to marry you in an Islamic way.

You seem to be firm about the way you feel about this girl; however, I want you to first ask certain questions to yourself and assess them honestly. How well do you know this girl? What are the qualities that you love about her? List them on a piece of paper. Can your love for Allah (swt) compete with your love for this girl? How will have a wife who is not a practicing Muslim affect you and your future generation? Will your parents agree? Are you okay with the disparity in terms of religion?

Once you have answered all these questions, you will have a clearer picture in mind, in sha’Allah. In the meantime, don’t forget to also seek Allah’s (swt) help by praying the istikharah prayer.

When you are sure that you want to marry this girl, I would advise that you clearly talk to her and show your interest (while involving your and her parents). Let’s see the manner in which she responds. Once you achieve a positive feedback, instead of imposing the religion on her, start acquainting her with the aspects where she lacks. Make her aware and fond of how beautiful Islam is. Gradually, you will see a change in sha’ Allah where she will accept and implement the religious practices in her life and will continue it throughout.

You can also express your wish to have a practicing Muslim as a spouse, and how significant effect it leaves on the future generation.

Sometimes, we do not know the reason behind the way people act. So, instead of saying, “look, I want you to start praying 5 times a day,” You should say, “Do you hear the Athan? I love the voice of the Mu’azzin. It gives me peace, and when I pray, I feel that I am out of all the trouble and life is serene.” Or you can ask her in a nice manner to go to the mosque with you or pray together at home maybe along with your family.

Always encourage her to seek knowledge, raise questions, and seek the answers. Allah (swt) says in a hadeeth qudsi:

“Take one step towards me, I will take ten steps towards you. Walk towards me, I will run towards you.”

In sha’ Allah, Adopting such approach will actually appeal to her in a way that it will become her way of life. With time, you will then be able to explain the importance of hijab and the protection it gives. In this manner, you will be able to help her practice the religion in a more efficient way. And this will also aid you in becoming a better practicing Muslim, in sha’ Allah.

May Allah (swt) make it easy for you .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How would India react if Hindu girl was raped in mosque: Ex IPS Sanjiv Bhatt on Kathua rape

New Delhi: Former Indian Police Service officer from Gujarat, Sanjiv Bhatt who is known for his role in filing an affidavit in the SC against the then Gujarat CM and now PM, Narendra Modi, concerning his alleged participation in the 2002 Gujarat riots; has said ‘what would have happened if the situation was reversed in the Kathua rape case’ and the criminals were Muslims. Sanjiv Bhatt (IPS) ✔ @sanjivbhatt Just imagine how Indian media and public would have reacted to a Hindu girl being abducted, abused, raped and killed by several Muslim men while being hidden inside a mosque? All Hindus who are silent about this ghastly crime that has been committed in their name are complicit. 11:46 PM - Apr 11, 2018 2,467 1,560 people are talking about this Twitter Ads info and privacy Bhatt tweeted on Wednesday “Just imagine how Indian media and public would have reacted to a Hindu girl being abducted, abused, raped and killed by several ...

Ruling on breaking the fast in order to play football when travelling and otherwise.

Q uestion: What is the ruling on football players breaking the fast during the day in Ramadan, because it is too difficult for them to do their work, especially since the people in charge asked for the matches to be delayed until night time, but the secular authorities refused. What is the ruling on players breaking the fast in the event of travel, meaning that they travel to play in another city? What is the ruling on fan breaking the fast because they will be travelling to watch a football game? Please note that the match may be shown on television. Is the ruling different if they travel to compete against non-Muslim countries? Is the ruling affected by the fact that the player’s ‘awrah is visible, namely part of his thigh? What is the ruling on travelling as a tourist to swim at a resort for the purpose of relaxation? A nswer: Praise be to Allah Firstly: There is nothing wrong with playing football if it is not for money or prizes, and it does not distract on...

KIND TREATMENT OF WIVES

God instructs men to be nice to their wives and to treat them well to the best of their ability: "…And live with them in kindness…" (Quran 4:19) The Messenger of God said, The most perfect of believers in belief is the best of them in character.   The best of you are those who are the best to their women.’[1]   The Prophet of Mercy tells us that a husband’s treatment of his wife reflects a Muslim’s good character, which in turn is a reflection of the man’s faith.   How can a Muslim husband be good to his wife?   He should smile, not hurt her emotionally, remove anything that will harm her, treat her gently, and be patient with her. Being nice includes good communication.   A husband should be willing to open up, and be willing to listen to his wife.   Many times a husband wants to air his frustrations (like work).   He should not forget to ask her about what annoys her (like when children would not do their homework).   A husband ...